Adding To Cart
Item already existing in cart. View Cart
Calcium, Ionized Blood Test
This test is used to evaluate unbound (ionized) calcium.
Calcium exists in serum in its ionized form or it is bound to organic anions such as phosphate and citrate,or in its most common form bound to proteins (mainly albumin). Of these, the ionized calcium is the physiologically important form.
Ionized calcium is most useful clinically when trying to evaluate abnormally high or low serum calcium levels. Measurement of serum ionized calcium provides insight into the effect of total protein and albumin on serum calcium levels.
This test is also useful in evaluating an individual that may have conditions that abnormally effect serum proteins. However Total Serum Calcium remains the first line test for evaluation of calcium abnormality. It should also be noted that women have greater circadian variation of ionized calcium than men.
Evaluating the effect of albumin on the calcium level, the parathyroid glands function, liver diseases that affect the level of albumin in the blood, and calcium metabolism.
No special preparation is necessary prior to blood sample collection.
Calcium, Ionized, Serum - TC - 306
Estimated Turn Around For Results:
2-10 Business Days
For an exact turnaround time for results, please contact us at Personalabs and we will contact the lab on your behalf as turnaround times vary depending on testing location or lab testing provider.
- To be able to use our service you must abide by our Refund Policy.
- Refunds are only permitted prior to submission of specimens for testing.
- You may request to cancel your lab order within seven (7) days of the date of purchase to receive a refund.
- Your refund will be reduced by $15 to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request to charge and refund your credit card.
- No refunds are given after seven (7) days.
- However, a credit can be issued to your account, less the $15 fee, and can be used towards your next order.
- After visiting the lab and having your blood drawn, no refund can be made.
- If for any reason Personalabs is unable to process your specimen, you will receive a full (100%) refund for the test(s) not performed.
- Lab orders are only valid for up to six (6) months from the purchase date at which point any unused lab orders are purged from our system. If you wish to reinstated your lab order, you will be charged a $15 fee to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request.
- Discount Codes are not redeemable and only one may be used for each purchase.
- Adjustments, credits and/or refunds for discount codes not entered at the time of ordering will not be issued.
- To process your refund, you must first request via email by selecting “Send a Message” on the Contact Us tab section.
- Please provide your Order information and reason for the refund.
- Please allow 24 to 72 hours to process your claim.
- After we accept your refund request, you will be issued a refund via the same payment method originally used to place the order (Debit Card, Credit Card, HSA or PayPal).
- The refund amount will be composed of the original purchase price minus $15 of your original charge to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request to charge and refund your credit card.
- You will be sent an email confirming receipt of the return and your credit.
- Please allow 3-5 business days to reflect in your account.
|Normal||Normal||Calcium regulation system functioning OK|
|Low||High||PTH is responding correctly; may run other tests to check for other causes of hypocalcemia|
|Low||Normal or Low||PTH not responding correctly; probably have hypoparathyroidism|
|High||High||Parathyroid gland producing too much PTH; may do imaging studies to check for hyperparathyroidism|
|High||Low||PTH is responding correctly; may run other tests to check for non-parathyroid-related causes of elevated calcium|