This test is used to monitor exposure to mercury.
Acute and chronic mercury poisoning affects the kidneys, central nervous system, and the gastrointestinal tract. The three telltale symptoms of mercury poisoning are impaired articulation, irregularity of muscular action, and constricted visual fields.
Mercury poisoning through chronic exposure to metallic and inorganic forms of mercury generally produce nervousness, lassitude, tremor, and mucous membrane irritation. Inorganic mercury poisoning is associated primarily with peripheral effects, including gastroenteritis and tubular nephritis, whereas organic compounds predominantly affect the central nervous system (CNS), which may be severe and irreversible.
The most common nonindustrial source of mercury poisoning is the consumption of methyl mercury-contaminated fish. Organic mercury poisoning is best detected in whole blood, as this form of mercury is located mainly in the RBCs. Organic mercury poisoning may develop quickly and is usually a more serious disease. Studies conducted by the CDC found that approximately 6% of childbearing-age women had levels at or above a reference dose, an estimated level assumed to be without appreciable harm (>5.8 Ã‚Âµg/L). Women who are pregnant or who intend to become pregnant should follow federal and state advisories on consumption of fish.
Mercury exposure e.g. in work environment like Power plants, consumption of fish containing mercury
Collection for work place exposure to be done at end of last shift of work week. No special preparation is necessary prior to blood sample collection.
Mercury, Blood - TC - 636
Estimated Turn Around For Results:
2-10 Business Days
For an exact turnaround time for results, please contact us at Personalabs and we will contact the lab on your behalf as turnaround times vary depending on testing location or lab testing provider.
- To be able to use our service you must abide by our Refund Policy.
- Refunds are only permitted prior to submission of specimens for testing.
- You may request to cancel your lab order within seven (7) days of the date of purchase to receive a refund.
- Your refund will be reduced by $15 to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request to charge and refund your credit card.
- No refunds are given after seven (7) days.
- However, a credit can be issued to your account, less the $15 fee, and can be used towards your next order.
- After visiting the lab and having your blood drawn, no refund can be made.
- If for any reason Personalabs is unable to process your specimen, you will receive a full (100%) refund for the test(s) not performed.
- Lab orders are only valid for up to six (6) months from the purchase date at which point any unused lab orders are purged from our system. If you wish to reinstated your lab order, you will be charged a $15 fee to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request.
- Discount Codes are not redeemable and only one may be used for each purchase.
- Adjustments, credits and/or refunds for discount codes not entered at the time of ordering will not be issued.
- To process your refund, you must first request via email by selecting “Send a Message” on the Contact Us tab section.
- Please provide your Order information and reason for the refund.
- Please allow 24 to 72 hours to process your claim.
- After we accept your refund request, you will be issued a refund via the same payment method originally used to place the order (Debit Card, Credit Card, HSA or PayPal).
- The refund amount will be composed of the original purchase price minus $15 of your original charge to cover the cost of the doctor's order as well as the cost of processing your request to charge and refund your credit card.
- You will be sent an email confirming receipt of the return and your credit.
- Please allow 3-5 business days to reflect in your account.
How it works
- Select Order a Test
Choose from over 390
- Print Doctor's Order
Doctor's Order Included
With All Orders
- Visit a Lab Today
Same day testing at 2,300 locations
- Get Your Results Online
in as little as 2-4 days in most cases